Sunday, April 28, 2013

Would you Like a Bible with that Coffee?

As you all know, the boyfriend and I are back in Chesterton.  We went to his old church today instead of the one he took me too on Easter that I kind of fell for.  He wanted to show me what our church is striving to become.  And don't get me wrong, it was a gorgeous, well put together and maintained place.  They had a little gift shop, a coffee shop, different day cares for your kids, and everything you could imagine in a church (like the MegaChurch in King of the Hill)


But in all of this, I felt like it was impersonal.  Which sounds weird right?  It is on the cutting edge of technology and above all it is geared towards the modern side of everything from the overhead projector that is playing amazing graphics behind the seven person band, (complete with 2 drum sets, 2 electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, and a guy who plays the electric flute, clarinet, and saxophone.) the electronic, touch screen collection "plate" where you can give to the church even if you only have your credit card on you, to the flat screen tv's set up all around the church so even if you're in the coffee shop you can watch the service.  It is exactly what our generation has made church to evolve to.  And you would think that I would be all over it.  But.... I was sadly turned off by it.  Don't get me wrong, it is amazing what they have done for and with this church, but when did church become this epicenter?  

I was raised attending a Catholic church, complete with incense and the 50 minute work out of standing up, kneeling, and sitting down. As Rich says, you're always competing for the bigger hat (the pope is obviously the winner with is 6 foot hat). If you weren't in the best clothes you own, you were wrong.  If you didn't strive to become a pope or a head of the church, then you were wrong.  If you didn't devote your entire existence not to God but the church, you were wrong.  If you breathed, you were wrong.  Okay, that is an exaggeration, but you get the point. But it was all of this that turned me off of attending church.  Sure I shipped around after I moved out and was on my own, but I always seemed to find this church all over again.  I don't want to be talked down to during service.  I don't want to feel judged the second I walk through the doors.  After all, there is only one who can judge me, so why does it feel that everyone feels their opinion matters? 

It was this church that made me terrified to go back to church.  But of course the boyfriend asked me to go with him on Easter.  I was terrified I would burst into flames when I walked near the doors.  However, as I told you, I was enlightened and absolutely fell in love with this church and the community behind it. I have never wanted to go back to a church this bad in my life.  So, seeing as he must have amazing judgement in churches, when he told me we were going to go to the second church, I was hoping it would be just as uplifting as the previous experience with him.  Sadly I was mistaken.  

The sermon itself was well put together, and I understand what he was trying to throw out there; however, it went in one ear and out the other. Nothing he said really spoke to me the way that Pastor Greg had at Duneland.  Their band was by far amazing, but with that budget who's wouldn't be?  And the fact that they had all these add-ons... it just left a bad taste in my mouth.  I'm not exactly sure why I don't "like" this church, or why I don't like it equally... but one thing is for sure, I'll be going back to DCC.  I tried to give this one a fair shot, but it fell short on me.  But I am beyond ecstatic that I finally found a church that feels like a complete fit to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment