Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Society can Kiss my Ass

I, like many women, have problems with my body.  I think we can all point out problem areas we have; my arms are too flabby, I have stretch marks on my tummy and my thighs, dark circles under my eyes, my hair doesn't dye evenly, my toes are weirdly long, no gap between my thighs, love handles galore.... I can keep going.  But it takes so much for us to feel beautiful.  Why?  We have painted this picture of what beauty is.  If you aren't 120 pounds, with bleach blonde hair, curled loosely, your thighs don't touch, NO stretch marks, tan, and make up perfect.... you aren't beautiful.  Let's look at models these days.  Do they know what the dollar menu at McDonalds is? Do they understand the joy of opening up a pizza box?  Do they know what throwback Mountain Dew tastes like?  No. No, how could they with those skinny little bodies of theirs?  And why is it when we try to make women feel better about themselves, we are criticized?

Why is it when a store in Sweden starts using regular size mannequins, we shout no! Protesters are screaming to the high heavens that this is promoting obesity.  No, let me explain something to you. The average size of mannequin in the United States is a size 2-4.  The average woman in the United States is a size 12.  So why would we display clothes on sticks (to my size 2 girls, you aren't sticks, it's an analogy)?  Why is it okay to discriminate against a company wanting to show a more realistic size for once?  In the 1940's, yes women used to be smaller, we are all aware of this.  This is why a size 2 now would have been a size 10 back then.  But at the same time, how can we portray this mentality that if you aren't a size 4 then you aren't gorgeous?

I have curves.  But you know what? They are DAMN sexy.  My shirts would never look as good, nor would my pencil skirt look so great in the (ahem) rear view.  I have stretch marks, but I am a tiger and I earned my stripes.  I don't need ten pounds of makeup to look great.  My teeth aren't perfect, but it gives me character.  I have gone through weight gain and loss ,then gain again.  And I know that I will never be a size 6.  But I am okay with that.  I think this is the mentality we need to distill in our young children/sisters/relatives. First, we need them to know that it doesn't matter what size you are, YOU ARE GORGEOUS.  You don't need a gap in between your thighs to look beautiful.  You don't need a perfectly flat tummy to turn a man's head.  And if you do, then he isn't right for you anyways (but that is for another day).  That no matter what size or shape you are, that there is more to life than obsessing over this.  Weight is just a number!

We need to teach girls to have a realistic view of their body.  I am a size 12.  I will never be a size 6.  And I can exercise and eat every diet they have ever created and I will never be a size 6 (or if I did, I would look malnourished .  We as a society need to teach girls to not expect any more than they can achieve.  Not every girl can be a size 2, and who would want to be? Curves are sexy! You don't want your man to be afraid to break you in two when he gives you a hug.  There is nothing wrong with a full figure, and honestly? When you get out of high-school, I guarantee most men don't want a stick figure size 2 anyways.  It's in our genetic makeup to want more than skin and bones.

Also, you don't need makeup!  I understand wanting to wear some when you are going out.  But you don't need ten pounds every time you wake up in the morning.  I believe there is such a thing as natural beauty, and you just have to believe this in yourself.  I love that Demi Lovato, along with many high schools across America have started this campaign for all girls to show up to school with no make up on at all. It really shows how far this country is coming.  For all the details check it out here. It shows that we are more than just what we paint on our faces.  I mean honestly, have we ever stopped once to realize how much we can change about ourselves by just putting on make up?  Has Jenna Marbles taught us nothing?


 Or my new favorite I stumbled upon the other day...


We need to show girls that we are more than what we torture ourselves to become.  I remember my mother plucking my eyebrows for the first time.  She kept telling me, "Suck it up, beauty is pain."  And I believed that. To this day I still would rather get my eyebrows waxed than sit there and pluck, and with every strip ripped off my face I remind myself that beauty is pain.  But why? We need to realize that we are just as beautiful in yoga pants and a messy bun as we are in a dress and heels.  That the beauty we have, it all resonates from confidence. What you are most confident in, you will be gorgeous to everyone else.  So why not just be confident in your own skin? That way you can be gorgeous in everything you wear. We need to teach girls to feel gorgeous by themselves, and not worry what men or society thinks.  

To all my followers, you are gorgeous! Don't ever let yourself believe otherwise.  No matter who you are or what you wear, you are beautiful inside and out! Love y'all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment