Sunday, April 14, 2013

New Goal, Challenge Accepted

I don't know if I have any runners who follow me, but if you are then you know my hunger.  The hunger for the feeling you can only get from crossing the finish line of a race.  The hunger for that feeling as your shaking down before that sounding bell. The rituals prior to the race.  Your warm-up run before the race, twenty minutes of stretching, and more stretching while walking to stay warm.  Yea well I have the hunger.  Have for a few days now.  Maybe it's because the boyfriend is away, or maybe it's because it's been awhile... but I started looking up races nearby. Low and behold I found one I want to run beyond belief.  And no, it's the not Color Run (although, still on my running bucket list).

It's called the Sunburst, and the hospital I used to work for sponsors it. Now of course they have races of all lengths, but I am determined to run the half marathon.  This wouldn't be such a big deal, except for a few things...

1. The race is on May 31... it's already April 14.
2. I haven't laced my running shoes up in over 3 months.
3. Most training programs are about 12 weeks longs, I have 6.
4. Races cost money, money I don't have.
5. Not sure my knee could handle the stress all the sudden.

Now, the only one of these that I view as a serious problem is the money one. As for training and what not, I can figure that out.  It's the $75 fee to run it that poses a bigger problem to me. But come on, they are even using the new tracking system I have only read about.  Y'all probably know that in a race you used to wear a chip on your shoe that you had the lace in the right way and you had to return it or get charged a stupid amount of money blah blah blah.  Now they have the technology to put it in you bib (the number on the front of your shirt)!  And you can just throw it away after the race... uhm I'm sorry but that is the coolest thing I have heard of in awhile.  And it's going to be used at this race!!!  I can't control myself.

And you bet your ass if I run this race, I'm going to wear something stupid crazy.  Just because.  Let me rephrase this, I have had this obsession with tutus ever since I was in ballet, so guess what I will be wearing to this race? Yea, a tutu.  Think it's crazy?  Then you have never been to a marathon before.  There are people who dress up to run just to serve as comic relief to other runners.  I mean, who wouldn't want to run behind this?


Or this...


Maybe this...


Get my point?  We runners are an acquired breed, and yes we do find ourselves funny.  I guess I should go figure out how I'm going to train for this ordeal.  Or figure out how to raise the $75 to run this thing.  Or how to convince my boyfriend to come to the race and cheer me on.  Why must I set such high standards for myself?  Happy running, love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment