Thursday, March 28, 2013

The 5 Year Plan

I had to sit back and re-evaluate a few things this morning.  And I'm not going to lie, I like where the next few years are looking to go.  I always like to have a 5 year plan, this one is more like a 15 year plan but you get the idea.  

After much searching for a job, 2 have become very apparent that I might receive them.  Which is good.  Both are at least an hour away, which means I can break my lease here and move back closer to home.  I moved so far away from my support system, I don't know why I ever thought that would be a good idea.  Plus I know the boyfriend would be happier to be closer to friends and family as well (and maybe cut that 2 hour commute down a bit as well).  

Once I get back into the area I am going to transfer to IUN and go for my Bachelors of Applied Science Degree in Radiologic Sciences.  After I acquire that I can become a basic X-ray technician and go to medical school in Chicago.  Thank goodness for the South Shore and the L so I can just take public transportation.  After that it's time to dominate my MCATS, and then off to a 3-7 year residency at hopefully a Chicago hospital.  Yet again, still going to cut money by the wonderful public transportation.  During my residency I will become ABR certified and officially become a Board certified doctor.  After my 1 year fellowship, I will be able to proudly say I jumped through every hoop possible and have taken my education as far as I can.  I will be Lauren Pleasant, M.D., and can finally be something of which to make my family proud.  

The only variance would be if I get into the former of the two jobs I applied for.  In that case I can go to school for my RN with tuition reimbursement (come on, who doesn't take money for college?) and then after that go to medical school for Radiology.  Fun fact, you don't have to get your Bachelor's degree in anything remotely close to what you will be going to medical school for.  If I get this route, then I can work as an RN all awhile going to school for my career.  Exciting stuff, isn't it? Lots of schooling, yes.  But you can ask the boyfriend, I'm lame and sit here and research the human body and learn about scans for fun.  Yes, I study for fun.  I'm weird, its okay to say it, I have come to terms with this fact.  

My life took a nose dive for the worse 2 months ago, and I am glad to say that after scouring over my old 5 year plan, I think I can excel in this course.  I just hope to have the backing of my family and friends.  This is why I think everyone should have a 5 year plan, or just goals in general.  Besides giving you hope for your future, you can better assess your life with them.  I mean who knows, y'all could be reading about the life of the woman who finds the groundbreaking cure to Alzheimer's with her extensive research and scans of the human brain, or who finds a better way to implement ionizing radiation in cancer treatment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment