Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lauren does cooking!

Today I decided to take on a complete meal.  I will remind you I cook about as well as a toddler.  I'm trying to pack him lunches that are filling... plus it will save us money.  For the "appetizer" I just made a chopped salad of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, celery, and bacon.  Simple enough, so then of course I felt ambitious.   For the main part of the meal I made cheesy potato soup with bacon.  Because who doesn't love bacon? I could eat a whole pound by myself (yes, I love bacon that much)!  Now this recipe wouldn't have been too bad had it not been for all the chopping and peeling.  I doubled the entire recipe, but I will post the regular version of it.  It says total tie is 40 minutes, but plan for a little over an hour for all the chopping and peeling.  When it is all said and done, it does need a sprinkle of salt and pepper, but other than that I find it delicious!  I have to say though, be patient for it, it looks weird while you're cooking it, but it shapes up towards the end.  Just imagine my none cooking self trying to make this, all awhile cursing aloud.  Hopefully y'all like it, I'll add the Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes either later today or tomorrow.


Makes: 9 cups; Total time: 40 minute
COOK:
1lb. thick-sliced bacon, diced
ADD:
1white onion, diced (2 cups)
1cup minced celery
1Tbsp. minced garlic
2Tbsp. all-purpose flour
6cups peeled and diced russet potatoes (2 lb.)
1Tbsp. dry mustard
2tsp. paprika
STIR IN:
3cups low-sodium chicken broth
1Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1tsp. Tabasco sauce
4cups shredded sharp Cheddar
2cups half-and-half
Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
Minced scallions





Cook bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside. Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. drippings.
Add onion, celery, and garlic to drippings in pot and sweat over medium heat until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in flour and cook 1–2 minutes. Add potatoes, dry mustard, and paprika; cook, stirring to coat potatoes, 1 minute. Stir in broth, Worcestershire, and Tabasco. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, partially covered, until potatoes are soft, 10–15 minutes. Coarsely mash potatoes, then stir in Cheddar and half-and-half until Cheddar is melted, 2 minutes. Remove soup from heat; season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
Garnish servings with bacon and scallions.






No comments:

Post a Comment