Friday, March 22, 2013

A chick flick sounds nice....

Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80’s movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80’s movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life.
-Emma Stone, 'Easy A'

But honestly, who could have put it better?  What has happened to all the cute couples? Like Noah writing Ally 365 letters, Han Solo fighting through it all and winning Princess Leia, Tom Hansen still loving Summer Finn even though she chose someone else, Jack giving Rose the floating door, Ron and Heromine's hidden love, no one puts Johnny's baby in a corner, Johnny and June, Romeo and Juliet.  Okay, not Romeo and Juliet.  They were a bunch of hormone crazed teens who end up killing themselves.  Way to go Shakespeare.. but the rest of them are still in.  Every woman dreams of the iconic couples we all see in chick flicks and movies alike.  




But who really does this stuff?  I have NEVER had a cute picnic planned out for me, come home to roses on the table, lay in a field and star gazed, turned around to find a guy have written out names in the sand on a beach with the sunset in the background.  I mean this couple here is way too cute... how does this stuff happen?

Romance has never found me.  I don't believe this stuff happens.  When I was proposed to, my ex was kneeling in our bedroom in his work uniform and asked me in the voice of Daffy Duck.  Cheesy? Yes.  Romantic? No.  I have never had that guy who just sends me flowers because he is thinking about me, or buy me jewelry because he thought of me when he saw it.  Quite frankly, I'm glad I haven't.  This sets the expectations so much higher than they should be.  I know there is no real Noah, or Jack, or any of the other fictional loves.  But I'm also in reality with the fact that there are guys out there who are just as much of a gentleman as those men. I don't need 365 letters, but a cute note on the bathroom mirror? Hell yes I'll take take that!  Who needs that huge Disney proposal? I'll take a day out fishing and mudding and you kneel in the mud and ask me.  I don't need a ritzy restaurant  cook for me and I'll swoon.  

I think we need a reality check into what is romantic. Because clearly, this crap doesn't actually happen in real life. Or maybe it does and I'm missing out on it. 

Nah- this crap can't really happen.  But if someone wants to come up to me while I'm sitting at a table with my parents and proclaim, "Nobody puts baby in a corner!" and start up a flash mob, I'm okay with this.  

Really, cue music now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment