Sunday, March 17, 2013

Get down with the sickness....

I lay in bed tonight struggling with something that I have been struggling with for more than a year now.  It’s something that I think a lot of women my age go through. At least I hope they do and I hope that someone has some great advice for me.
Baby Fever via © lassedesignen - Fotolia.com
It’s a little something called “baby fever.”

Baby fever... I'm talking serious baby fever to the point you have an entire board on pinterest filled with cradles and DIY toys, picking colors for the nursery walls, looking at onesies at baby stores, baby names have long since been picked out. But in case this isn't blunt enough for you, here are 7 ways you might be infected with the fever, the baby fever...

1.) The neighbor has a kid who cries all.the.time. Normally, that would bother the fudge out of you, but with baby fever -- it just makes you ache to hold him.

2.) it's always on your mind and it is a frequent topic of conversation in your house. Not only the baby fever, but all things baby and raising kids.

3.) So, you're out picking up some milk and eggs at the store in a hurry. You always make time to go and browse through the baby and kid clothes -- it's like you're drawn to it.

4.) Someone needs a babysitter and you are the first to jump at the chance to hang out with a baby or toddler. Free of charge just to get your baby fix.

5.) There is a constant nagging feeling that someone is missing. 

6.) Normally, your husband (or whatever they are) is the one to 'start the fun' in bed. Now, it's all you -- all the time.

And lastly....
7.) You're in bed thinking about babies and you just gently push out your stomach and pretend for a minute that there's a baby in there. Try and tell me you've never done it...


I am no where near ready for child and yet that is all I can think about lately.  I am young (yes mom, I'm admitting it), going to school, trying to start a career, and just starting out in a new relationship.  But through all of this, I can not get the thought of a baby out of my head.  Why?!!! Now that we’re on the subject, I’m not totally comfortable with the aftermath of having a baby, either. Suddenly, there will be a stranger roaming around my house. What if it hates me? What will we do together all day? Do babies like Netflix?  So while I am completely in love with the idea of being a mommy and doing all the mommy things... I'm scared shitless.  Maybe that's the comforting (I suppose?) reality of the matter. As bad as I want a child, I know that I wouldn't know the first thing to being a mom.  I mean really, what kind of mom plays dinosaur with their kid (or pseudo step-child)? 



Okay maybe a lot, but I still wouldn't know where to start. Plus who wants to spend their hard earned money on something that eat, sleeps, and poops? Oh yea and cries.... a lot. Or get little to no sleep because of said crying?  Or lose all time to themselves because they have a child now? Or no longer know the meaning to social life? 

Oh yea, me. Go Lauren. 

I need a hobby....


No comments:

Post a Comment